Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Comic book Preganme: week of 02/24/10




Join me once again, as I peruse this week's shipping list and comment on things of interest.

Captain Swing #1 (of 4), $3.99


It's Warren Ellis doing steampunk, that tends to work out rather well. I think I'll have to buy it.

Gravel #17, $3.99

More Ellis, I shouldn't be surprised he writes like 10 books a month. I hear good things about Gravel but I still haven't checked it out. Sounds like a cool concept (special forces type hard-ass who's a combat magician right?) I'll have to grab the first trade sometime.

Female Force #3 Michelle Obama (Limited Edition Foil Cover), $19.99

Please tell me people aren't buying this.

Blood+ Novel Volume 5 Kowloon Nights, $9.99

I couldn't get through the show, it wasn't bad but I lost interest. Are the books any better?

Batman And Robin #9, $2.99

Another issue of Batman and Robin so soon? Awesome. I don't know what comic readers did to deserve this but thanks.

Blackest Night #7 (of 8), $3.99


I'm a bit behind on this, I trust zombie superheroes are still running amok? As events go I suppose this one has been alright.

Flash Rebirth #6 (Of 6), $2.99

This on the other hand has been terrible. all of Johns flaws without any of his redeeming qualities. I trust issue six will be the best of the bunch though, with a lot of big action moments and bad one liners.

Gotham City Sirens #9, $2.99

Will this one actually be written by Paul Dini? I know Dini's busy but DC really should be a bit clearer about such things.

Madame Xanadu #20, $2.99

Another thing I really want to try in trade, if only for the gorgeous art.

Northlanders #25, $2.99

This book is great and I highly recommend the first trade. This arc has been a bit slower paced but is building the tension and atmosphere beautifully. Also the art is very good.

Scalped #35, $2.99

One of, if not the best, comics being published today. If you have any interest in gritty crime comics you need to be reading this book. First trade is only 10 bucks people, you have no excuse.

Negima Volume 25 GN, $10.99

Another manga that I've never read but I thought the anime was both disturbing and just not very good. I'm use to over sexualized anime girls but when those girls are in middle school it's really not okay. Again, I know that's nothing new but usually at least it's only one really young girl in a crowd of more reasonably aged women rather then just fan service with 13 year olds. Also, the show, not that funny.

Neil Gaiman Neverwhere HC (Signed Limited Edition), $200.00

That's a good book but do people really have an extra $200 just to get it signed?

King City #5, $2.99

I have the original digest size of this and it's great. Can't wait until the release the second volume.

Viking #5, $2.99

Am I still reading this? I'm not sure if I bought issue 4 or not. Hmm...I'll have to check but that's not really a good sign. While the art has been stellar it seems to ship somewhat sporadicly and the the story telling is not always clear. I still more or less enjoy the book so I probably will finish out this arc at least.

Amazing Spider-Man #622, $3.99

Holy shit, Greg Weisman! For those of you who don't know Weisman, among many other things, was the creator of Gargoyles and the the head writer/show runner of Spectacular Spider-Man, the greatest Spider-Man adaptation of all time. I'm excited to see his take on 616 Spidey.

Captain America Theater Of War HC, $24.99

I'm a sucker for WW2 Captain America stories so I enjoyed these. They varied in quality but one issue in particular in which Cap and the Americans capture a German solder stood out as being particularly good in that "we're not so different" war story way.

Deadpool #20, $2.99

Didn't Deadpool 19 come out last week? What is going on?

Fantastic Four #576, $2.99

The Hickman run has been solid so far but still hasn't blown me out of the water like it has some people, still, worth reading.

Immortal Weapons TP, $16.99

Buy the ever loving hell out of this book! One, it's very good, and two, I desperately want more Iron Fist/Immortal Weapons stories.

Marvels Project #6 (Of 8), $3.99

Waiting for the trade on this one, but man, the art I've seen from this; fantastic.

Ms Marvel #50, $3.99

50 issues, I know this is the end but well done Ms. Marvel. I haven't read any of them but I hear they've been good and just the fact that the made it to 50 issues is pretty darn respectable in this day and age.

Nation X #3 (Of 4), $3.99

These are often better then Uncanny and they certainly look much better. (LAAANNDDD!!!)

New Avengers #62 (Siege Tie-In), $3.99

Chugging along, buying time until the relaunch. Still you do get both Captain Americas, so there is that.

Secret Warriors #13, $2.99

Like the FF, this has failed to live up to the hype, but, I have quite enjoyed it.

Thor #607, $2.99

Keiron Gillen writes a good god comic (Ares, Thor, Beta Ray Bill) and Tan's art is adequate if a big come down from Coipel and Djurdjevic. This seems like it actually will tie into Siege which, I believe, will make it the first to be properly branded as doing such.

X-Factor #202, $2.99

This series is the most constantly good X-book these days, big ups to Peter David for keeping it so. Still can't seem to find a good ongoing artist but the current guy is solid.

X-Force #24, $2.99

More Necrosha stuff and, I'm guessing, more impenetrable art by Crain. I was never a huge fan of his but his art on this story has just been ridiculous. I've read thousands of X-comics over the years and yet without the captions I can't tell who the characters are half the time. I'll be happy when this is over and Mike Choi is back on art.

X-Men Legacy #233, $2.99

Despite loving a lot of Carey's work I wasn't too high on his X-Men stuff. However, re-reading in large chunks has made me much more of a fan. In trade this probably reads really well I just wish the issues moved a bit faster.

That's all that caught my eye this week, anything tickle your fancy? Comment below.

-egs

Now that Disney owns Marvel I expect Spider-Man to team up with Goliath to take on Xanatos. Make it happen Marvel.

Or really Gargoyles related stuff of any manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment